Severe Weather, Roof Damage and the Danger of Carbon Monoxide

Most homeowners are not aware that improper storm damage roof repairs can not only lead to a leaky roof, but also to deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.  When home ventilation systems are damaged by storms and other severe weather, it can create a deadly problem: carbon monoxide, a toxic gas that’s both odorless and colorless. Carbon monoxide, or CO, can become trapped inside of a home because of damaged venting systems, and can endanger everyone who lives inside.

Every year, hundreds of Americans die from CO poisoning. The chance of being exposed to CO rise exponentially in any homes that are damaged by storms, as well as those houses which were repaired incorrectly. The entire purpose of a ventilation system is designed to direct CO and any other dangerous gas away from any internal living area and expel them safely out of doors. Ventilation systems can fail unexpectedly when they’re damaged by winds or hail, clogged by debris or installed incorrectly.  In addition, ventilation systems can fail when they are improperly reinstalled during roof repairs.

Once severe weather strikes and passes by, you need to check any pipes or connections from any appliances or machines that use gas inside of your home, as well as any piping in the attic – these should be checked to make sure they didn’t disconnect during the storm. Never, ever try to patch up a broken or damaged pipe with any material like tape or glue – this can create a CO build up, which can kill without warning. Make sure that any hail damage roof repairs are completed by a licensed contractor, and install a CO detector in your home.

Posted on behalf of Ken Christie, CZE Roofing and Remodeling


Comments are closed.